Out of fear for sounding all “woe-is-me,” I will preface this post by saying I am fully aware of the awesomeness of this experience no matter how much it costs me.
Job swap = priceless.
Now that that’s outta the way, today’s post is all about pounds. Not the weight I’m likely gaining due to all the pies and chips and puddings I’m eating. Regularly. Rather, I’m talkin’ money, money, money, MONEY. MONEY!
And to give you an idea of what the “great American dollar” will get you here in Jolly Ole, here’s a brief list of what I’ve spent on some basic services/amenities so far:
- Dry cleaning (1 dress, 3 sweaters, 2 blouse): £30 ($47)
- Sunday papers (4): £6 ($10)
- Replacement pair of backs for my gold earrings: £10 ($16)
- Soles for a pair of heels: £16.50 ($26)
- Basic manicure (sans massage!): £13.50 ($23)
- Three-pack of sneaker socks (since I didn’t bring sneaks, I didn’t bring the appropriate socks): £8 ($12.55)
- 8-minute cab ride (from SoHo back to Wapping): £18 ($28)
- Movie ticket: £15 ($22)
Right. So I’ll just go play Justin Timberlake’s Cry Me a River on repeat now.